Municipal Heritage Sites

Sittin’
Rock

Designated: June 10th, 2008

How it was formed is unknown, some say a natural rock formation, others a result of blasting. A popular site to take a rest when walking New Road. Well-known among the older residents as a courtship site.

Sittin’
Rock

Location: New Road

St. Matthew’s
United Church Cemetery

Designated: June 10th, 2008

Most of the grave markers record death dates between 1911 and 1942.

St. Matthew’s
United Church Cemetery

Location: Just past the Hefford Plantation Site on Peddle’s Lane

Burrage’s
Stage

Designated: June 30th, 2009

Was originally built as a school in Heart’s Content and when the school closed, it was torn down and the wood was transported to New Perlican to build a fishing stage. At the time of the cod moratorium, it was the only building supporting an active fishing enterprise.

Burrage’s
Stage

Location: Harbour Road

Peters’
Finger

Designated: July 6th, 2010

Legend is that it is named after pirate Peter Easton who used it as a lookout and that it points to his treasure. Also, that there is a bottomless cave on top of the hill as the story says that goats that was last seen on Peter’s Finger was later found floating dead in the salt water of Vitter’s Cove Beach.

Peters’
Finger

Location: Vitter's Cove Road

Anderson’s
Shed

Designated: July 6th, 2011

Constructed in the late 1950’s, a good example of an intact outbuilding.

Anderson’s
Shed

Location: Vitter’s Cove Road

The Liberal
Rock

Designation: July 24th, 2012

Was a daily meeting place for men in the community.

The Liberal
Rock

Location: Peddle’s Lane

Harry’s
Brook

Designated: July 24th, 2012

Was used as a source of drinking water, water for gardens, clean rugs, for trouting, catching eels.

Harry’s
Brook

Location: Runs between Tory Road and Harbour Road

St. Mark’s
Anglican Cemetery

Designated: July 13th, 2013

Contains grave markers dating from the mid 1800’s.

St. Mark’s
Anglican Cemetery

Location: Scott’s Hill

Jean’s Head
Lighthouse Site

Designated: July 13th, 2013

Was the site of an early 20th century lightkeeper’s dwelling.

Jean’s Head
Lighthouse Site

Location: North side of New Perlican harbour

Jane Condon’s
Grave

Designated: July 16th, 2014

One of the earliest known grave sites in New Perlican. Headstone indicates that Jane Condon was born in 1758 and died in 1816.

Jane Condon’s
Grave

Location: Meadow on Gut Road

Bloody
Point

Designated: July 16th, 2014

Rumored site of a battle between French and English in 1690’s, another rumor battle between French forces or English settlers with the Beothuk.

Bloody
Point

Location: Western entrance to New Perlican Harbour, end of Harbour Road.

Hefford
Plantation

Designated: June 23rd, 2015

The site of a 17th century plantation. Many artifacts have been recovered through a series of archaeological digs. These artifacts can be viewed in the downstairs of the Veteran’s Memorial Community Center.

Hefford
Plantation

Location: Peddle’s Lane

The
Hole

Designated: June 28th, 2016

Meeting place for local men on Sunday afternoons.

The
Hole

Location: Beach Road

Vitter’s Cove
Beach

Designation: July 4th, 2017

History: Schooners were brought to the beach and maneuvered over the beach at High tide. When the tide went out, the schooners were inspected, and repairs were completed.

Vitter’s Cove
Beach

Location: Accessed by Vitter’s Cove Road or Beach Road

Pinsent’s
Lane

Designated: July 24th, 2018 Was used primarily as a horse and cart path leading from the Main Road to the Shoreline.

Pinsent’s
Lane

Location: Off Route 80 on the eastern side of New Perlican Harbour

Flatrocks & Footprints Area
Norman’s Hill

Designated: July 13th, 2019

A common place for Bonfire Night. Center of town and gives views of the whole town. From the Flatrocks area, see the town, harbour, Jean’s Head, Vitter’s Cove, Peter’s Finger and across Trinity Bay.

Flatrocks & Footprints Area
Norman’s Hill

Location: Norman’s Hill is the piece of land separating Vitter’s Cove from New Perlican harbour and the Flatrocks and Footprints area is on top of the hill.

Years ago, people traced their footprints in the Flatrocks area while waiting for the ferry from Trinity. Residents continue to trace their footprints there.